The club will be doing Facebook Live Announcements on a Wednesday and then this will also be published on the website. Last nights details were as follows:
We are going to introduce a “weekly challenge”
This week is the “Banana Day” Challenge which consists of:
- Banana Day series Virtual Race – either 5k/5M or 10k. Please either send time/upload of Strava/Garmin details to Lisa or post to facebook. Results will be read out and published the following week. You must do the route starting and finishing from your home.
- Strava Art – following the Banana theme. Upload/share etc any Banana shape route that you manage out on your run.
- We would love to see photos of anyone dressed in yellow – as a banana, running with a banana etc. Just a bit of fun to keep people smiling.
Don’t forget Awards Night 7.30pm Friday 17th April via Zoom – would love to see you there
Please keep each other in mind – Maybe set up a What’s App Group to motivate each other, text someone that you think may not be on social media and tell them what you have been up to.
Stay Safe Striders
After the recent government announcement we have decided as a committee to cancel club training sessions until further notice. We will also be postponing the club AGM and awards night on Friday.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you updated as we appreciate things are changing daily.
I hope you can appreciate this was not an easy decision to make and would encourage people to keep communicating through the relevant channels. I will put something up on the club website and ensure I let those members I am aware that are not on social media know but please can I ask you pass onto as many people u think may fall into this category.
Let’s remain positive in these testing times and support each other as much as we can.
1) If anyone has any matters they would like raised at the AGM, can you please advise either myself or Tracey Crank so we can add it to the agenda.
2) Final XC of the season this Sunday at Alice Holt forest.
3) Clare is still on the lookout for a Vice Chairperson. She will post a job description in a separate post.
4) Lidl run as usual this week, 7.30am in Cowplain.
1) AGM & Awards – Friday 20th March – your last chance to listen to me rambling on!
2) SCCL #6 – Rearranged race is on Sun 1st March at Alice Holt forest. Let’s go out in style and retain our top 10 position, strong turnout required please folks.
3) Curry night is now full, 8pm at Milton Tandoori for those of you who got in quick enough.
4) Lidl run this week is a ‘Bacon Butty’ run (Other plant based alternatives are available). 7.30am at Horndean Fire Station.
We are pleased to announce that Lisa Peckover will be taking over as club secretary from Tracey Crank at the AGM. We would once again like to thank Tracey for the sterling job she has done over the years and wish Lisa all the best as she joins the committee.
Curry Night – Friday 21st March, Milton Tandoori. If you would like to attend please get in touch with Lee Weeks know ASAP.
The 10k committee have now had their first meeting and we will keep you updated as much as we can with developments over the coming months.
Once again a big thank you to all of you supporting the continuation of the Denmead 10k, and from people offering to help out. We anticipate that most will be needed on the day of the race so we really do need as many volunteers as possible.
As a result of this it has been decided that again this year we will not be opening the race to club members in the hope that we have a plethora of volunteers to help
It was also felt that for such a small race it should not be dominated purely by Striders and that we should be encouraging people to take part in what we advertise as a great friendly local race.
It was not a decision taken lightly as we know a lot of you enjoy taking part and some of the newer members have not even had the opportunity to participate. This is why we request that Gary puts in the 10k route as part of the summer training session so that you all get that chance to run the lovely undulating route.
We recognise that there was confusion last year surrounding this and can only apologise so wanted to have clarity from the start and hope you can understand the decision made.
We now have a Denmead 10k committee put together. Watch this space for more news on the race and if any help is needed
1. Clare Welch will be taking over as Chairwoman at the AGM. I’m sure you will join me in wishing Clare all the best in her new role. She will do a fantastic job. To that end, we now need a volunteer for the vice chairman post, although Clare is more than capable of persuading someone she deems suitable.
2. Another excellent XC performance from you all. Michael Harrison in particular deserves congratulations as the first Strider home. We maintain 9th position overall so a good turnout for the final race at Alice Holt forest is required to maintain that top 10 finish. Well done to all the XC team.