Wednesday, 8th September 2021
- This was the last Wednesday at Denmead. Winter session starts next week and will meet Monday near Ensinger building down Westside View. Wednesday meet at the swimming pool. Would like to move us slightly away from the entrance and meet at the fire assembly point on edge of car park
- Well done to everyone who took part in races over the weekend. Results can be found on website.
- If anyone has any articles for newsletter, please send onto me. Thank you to those who have already contributed
- Reminder from Paul Welch that the first SCCL cross country race is on the 10th October which clashes with the Denmead 10k. We do have marshals covered so if anyone can race that would be great. Details to follow.
Wednesday, 1st September 2021
** Tonight’ announcements before a tough 400/200/200 intervals session led by ladies captain Kirsty **
- New potential members Jodie and Steve were introduced to the club – welcome to you both.
- Lakeside 5k race series number 2 – Hannah Curtis 20:50, Samantha Morris 21:49, Stuart Hoare 24:47 and Gary McCawley 25:18. Great effort 👏
- Over 30 Striders did Saturday’s Park Run with some notable performances: Julian Manning 1st (18:32) at QECP with Pete Turrell in 6th, PBs at Havant for Gareth Darch, Sam Morris and Bekki Leaves. Chris Cornell was a creditable 10th. Further PBs at Lakeside for Matt Gair (7th) and Rick Toovey. Too many to name individually but fantastic performances by one and all – well done 👏👏
- The next newsletter is being collated by the Chair Clare Welch but she has had little input (e.g none!) to date. Please feel free to send any contributions (race reports, training regimes etc) to her email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for inclusion in the next edition.
- Social Friday – this Friday 3 Sep there is a social run followed by a get together with snacks and drinks on completion. Please meet at the Scout Hut in Kidmore Lane at 5:30 for the run. The club will purchase some snacks and soft drinks but if you wish for specific food or alcohol please provide this yourselves. Look forward to seeing you then. If the weather is inclement we will look to have a few cheeky ones in the White Hart.
Social Friday – this Friday 3 Sep there is a social run followed by a get together with snacks and drinks on completion. Please meet at the Scout Hut in Kidmore Lane at 5:30 for the run. The club will purchase some snacks and soft drinks but if you wish for specific food or alcohol please provide this yourselves. Look forward to seeing you then. If the weather is inclement we will look to have a few cheeky ones in the White Hart.
- Gemma Heggs continues with her Friday social runs but to date there is limited take up and occasionally nobody has turned up. Gemma is prepared to move to a later time if there is interest but it is likely that this social run will be discontinued if there is no interest which would be a shame. Please let myself or Gemma know if you would be interested in a different time.
- Saturday social run – meet at Cowplain LIDL at 07:30 Saturday morning.
- Kirsty reported that this Sunday is the first HRRL race and we do not have full teams for male or females. The race is Overton 5 and if you are interested then please feel free to enter.
- Head coach Gary reminded everyone that next Wednesday 8 Sep will be the last summer training session for 2021 in the Denmead Lanes before switching to the winter schedule and meeting outside Waterlooville Leisure Centre.
- Look forward to seeing you on Friday 🍾🍺🍕 have a great week and happy racing at the weekend 🏃♂️🏃♂️
Wednesday, 25th August 2021
- Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Harrison
- Race Results
Well done Martin Marty McKinlay
South Coast Triathlon, 1st in Age Group, 12th overall
Virtual Striders’ League
First three Ladies : Mel Hunt/Jenny Parks/Slavena Jensen
First three men: Paul Welch/Gary McCawley/Graham Clarke
2 more virtual races left to complete: A half marathon and then finishing with a 5k by 19th September
To be held on Friday,3rd September@ 5.30. A social run followed by nibbles subject to weather, if inclement could always go for cheeky pint at The White Hart!
The Southern Cross Country League will be on this year with the first race on10th October at Folley Farm/Kingsclere Estate. Unfortunately, this date clashes with Denmead 10k
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Congratulations from all Striders to Michael and Rachael on their forthcoming wedding this Saturday – have a great day and honeymoon.
- The following HRRL fixtures are now open for entries – Overton 5 (5 Sep), Lordshill 10K (19 Sep) and Gosport Half (21 Nov).
- VSL continues with Route 6. This is a 10k route and is running until 22 Aug. Current VSL leaders are Melanie Hunt and Paul Welch respectively.
- Social runs on Friday are available with coach Gemma Heggs. All are welcome and this Fridays run will be the VSL 10k Route 6. Meet in Kidmore Lane Car Park at 5.30pm.
Wednesday, 4th August 2021
- Well done to Daniel Shawyer who ran the Eastleigh 10k last Sunday
- Well done to all of those that took part in the Denmead 10k last week.It really helped to give the new committee a feel in advance of race day
- We now have confirmation of SJA First Aid Cover for the Denmead 10 k and a full UKA race licence has been granted. Entries are now open on the RunBritain website so tickets can start to go on sale and be advertised. Once all details are finalised it would be great if people could share on Facebook, word of mouth etc and help get the word out.
Wednesday, 30th July 2021
Wednesday, 23rd July 2021
- *Well done to all of those that took part in the Why Not Run Race.
- Well done to Del King for his Ironbourne achievement and a podium place for his age category
- Re: results, bear with us on these coming back and being recorded
- Now we are back in the lanes all together we still need to be mindful of other people in the lanes. Whilst restrictions have been lifted we don’t know how others may feel so please still be considerate and take wide birth when running past etc.
- Reminder about horses – approach with caution!
- Graham Clarke gave an overview of the Virtual Striders’ League – well done to all of those taking part and there are still races left if you want to participate.
- Next week is the Denmead 10k route for the club – for all of those that wish to participate you may even get a medal at the end! It would be be great to have a few of us there as will be a good tester for the new committee.