- Well done to everyone that has got involved in the Striders bingo card. A fair few members have now got full houses and some have requested that we do it again. Currently working on a new card
- The new challenge is Lands End to John O’groats. This is the 2nd week and at last count we were at 600 miles. Target is 874 which is the traditional known distance
- Still no club sessions due to current government guidelines
- If people are starting to train together more please ensure you don’t all end up training on the same day and time so that it becomes a bigger group. Would not like this to reflect on the club
- Wow, the bingo run has really taken off, well done to all the Striders that are embracing this and sharing your runs. It’s great fun to see. 27 Striders are currently taking part
- Latest distance lockdown results are available on the website
- Committee meeting was held and minutes are now available on the website
- We will be holding a virtual quiz night – date to be arranged
- Congratulations to Dan Starkey and his wife Gemma who welcomed Layla into the world this week
- Thank you to all the people that took part in the rainbow run last week. Some great picture. Latest distance results are now on the website – again well done to all those that keep posting their runs and are still getting PBs too! Special mention to Paul Marshall and Suzanne Richardson for their PBs and also nice to see Sara Saunders back running post baby
- Membership is still due – for those of you that have not paid and still want to be a Denmead Strider please could you arrange.
- We have started a photos page on the website – will take some snippets from what is posted on facebook so non facebook users can see some of the photos
Give this a go over the coming weeks and start checking off your bingo card – share with us and we can update with who gets a line/house etc
Firstly apologies for not posting the previous weeks announcements. The week came and went in a flash!
This weeks announcements:
- Excellent contribution for the Road name challenge. Great to see everyone getting involved.
- Update from EA is that all athletics activity is suspended until the 31st May – this applies to group running
- All competitions are suspended until 30th June – would advise keeping up to date with Race websites for updates
- There are a lot of different organisations that are doing virtual races/challenges where you can post your millage for the month. A great way to keep yourself motivated
- This weeks challenge – RAINBOW RUN. Run in clothes a colour of the rainbow and try to take a photo of yourself with something of the same colour.
STAY SAFE STRIDERS
- Well done to everyone that took part in the Banana Challenge this week. Some great ideas – We had Bekki dressed as Banana, Gizzy dressed as a banana dog, Jenny wore all yellow and had a banana in hand, Natalie attempted to run with a banana strapped to her head, Chrissie and Lewis done a Mario Kart reenactment by dropping a banana skin, Sean and his banana belt and Peter with his lego get up. Ruud, Amy, Matt and Paul all done Banana shaped runs too. Fantastic to see so many of you getting involved.
- There were a few striders that also done their own 5/10ks etc and results will be put online in due course.
- Awards night was a success. Thanks to all of those that came along virtually. Was great to see so many faces. Well done to all the winners and don’t forget this was the 2019 season so for all you newcomers it would be great to see some new names on the trophies.
- This weeks challenge is themed around St Georges Day. Again we will do the virtual races from your door – this week any recognised distance. Please send results to Lisa and she will collate them for next week. Any Strava art around the theme – Cross/Sword/Dragon even! And again any natty ideas about dressing up etc. Look forward to seeing what people come up with this time.
- Remember if you are going out to stay hydrated its very warm at the moment
- Most importantly…STAY SAFE
The Award Results are now available in the AGM & Awards section of the website
The club will be doing Facebook Live Announcements on a Wednesday and then this will also be published on the website. Last nights details were as follows:
We are going to introduce a “weekly challenge”
This week is the “Banana Day” Challenge which consists of:
- Banana Day series Virtual Race – either 5k/5M or 10k. Please either send time/upload of Strava/Garmin details to Lisa or post to facebook. Results will be read out and published the following week. You must do the route starting and finishing from your home.
- Strava Art – following the Banana theme. Upload/share etc any Banana shape route that you manage out on your run.
- We would love to see photos of anyone dressed in yellow – as a banana, running with a banana etc. Just a bit of fun to keep people smiling.
Don’t forget Awards Night 7.30pm Friday 17th April via Zoom – would love to see you there
Please keep each other in mind – Maybe set up a What’s App Group to motivate each other, text someone that you think may not be on social media and tell them what you have been up to.
Stay Safe Striders
England Athletics (EA) have recently issued guidelines and advice to the whole running community on how to stay active at home in these difficult and uncertain times. Reading is highly recommended
Links to the relevant web pages will be found on the “Useful Links” tab which has been added under “Info” on the navigation bar. In the first instance, links to England Athletics (EA) and Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL) have been added. More will follow in due course.