Please note that following the feedback received from the first session last Wednesday (which was very successful) Gary has updated the Training Guidelines and Schedule which we would ask you all to read. The main changes are that the weekly sustained run has been removed, a reminder for late comers to make themselves known to the Coach/Run Leader and a recommendation to wear a mask whilst waiting for the session to start.
Following a committee meeting on 25/08/20 and guidance from England Athletics after the government announcement on Wednesday, the club is pleased to announce that Denmead Striders will return to club nights from Wednesday 16th September 2020 at 19:00. The committee must stress that this is a trial period and, if all goes to plan, we expect club nights to continue. Rest assured we have taken all precautions possible in order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. It is vital we remain safe and, in turn, the club asks that you maintain social distancing at all times.
As you are aware the return will be somewhat different to our usual training plan. Initially the club will trial the return for a six-week period on our main Wednesday evening session only. Full details of the planned training schedule are given in the “Return to Training” link under “Training” and we ask that every member read this document in detail before attending the sessions.
We all owe our gratitude to Gary who has put in considerable thought, time and effort into compiling this schedule in order to ensure that the safety of all members is not jeopardised by our return to training and that we are complying with the rules laid down by the government and England Athletics. We are all grateful to our lovely coaching team who have all willingly agreed to train us all again so we ask that you cooperate with them and follow their instructions fully during the sessions. The safety of everyone will be their prime consideration and if they feel that this is being jeopardised in any way then, regrettably, sessions will have to be suspended until further notice. However, I am confident that this will not be the case!
- Following on from yesterdays committee meeting it has been decided that the Awards night that would usually take place in March next year will not take place. As most of you are aware this is based on, results from races, club sessions like the Handicap and Winter Time Trials etc. As this has not been taking place it seemed only fair to make the decision now and let you know.
- We will also be bringing further news on club training so watch this space.
- We will be hosting a virtual quiz! Watch this space for date and time.
- Unfortunately we’ve taken the decision to postpone this years Denmead 10k. Whilst some more commercially based events are looking like they may go ahead, the restrictions we would need to have in place for our own race and the work that would need to be done to meet the increased standards, we feel that as a small club is too much, with the risk far outweighing the benefits.
- There is still no training until further notice. We are monitoring guidelines from the EA
- Striders Bingo – v2 is now in full swing for anyone that wants to take part
- Well done to everyone that has got involved in the Striders bingo card. A fair few members have now got full houses and some have requested that we do it again. Currently working on a new card
- The new challenge is Lands End to John O’groats. This is the 2nd week and at last count we were at 600 miles. Target is 874 which is the traditional known distance
- Still no club sessions due to current government guidelines
- If people are starting to train together more please ensure you don’t all end up training on the same day and time so that it becomes a bigger group. Would not like this to reflect on the club
- Wow, the bingo run has really taken off, well done to all the Striders that are embracing this and sharing your runs. It’s great fun to see. 27 Striders are currently taking part
- Latest distance lockdown results are available on the website
- Committee meeting was held and minutes are now available on the website
- We will be holding a virtual quiz night – date to be arranged
- Congratulations to Dan Starkey and his wife Gemma who welcomed Layla into the world this week
- Thank you to all the people that took part in the rainbow run last week. Some great picture. Latest distance results are now on the website – again well done to all those that keep posting their runs and are still getting PBs too! Special mention to Paul Marshall and Suzanne Richardson for their PBs and also nice to see Sara Saunders back running post baby
- Membership is still due – for those of you that have not paid and still want to be a Denmead Strider please could you arrange.
- We have started a photos page on the website – will take some snippets from what is posted on facebook so non facebook users can see some of the photos
Give this a go over the coming weeks and start checking off your bingo card – share with us and we can update with who gets a line/house etc
Firstly apologies for not posting the previous weeks announcements. The week came and went in a flash!
This weeks announcements:
- Excellent contribution for the Road name challenge. Great to see everyone getting involved.
- Update from EA is that all athletics activity is suspended until the 31st May – this applies to group running
- All competitions are suspended until 30th June – would advise keeping up to date with Race websites for updates
- There are a lot of different organisations that are doing virtual races/challenges where you can post your millage for the month. A great way to keep yourself motivated
- This weeks challenge – RAINBOW RUN. Run in clothes a colour of the rainbow and try to take a photo of yourself with something of the same colour.
STAY SAFE STRIDERS
- Well done to everyone that took part in the Banana Challenge this week. Some great ideas – We had Bekki dressed as Banana, Gizzy dressed as a banana dog, Jenny wore all yellow and had a banana in hand, Natalie attempted to run with a banana strapped to her head, Chrissie and Lewis done a Mario Kart reenactment by dropping a banana skin, Sean and his banana belt and Peter with his lego get up. Ruud, Amy, Matt and Paul all done Banana shaped runs too. Fantastic to see so many of you getting involved.
- There were a few striders that also done their own 5/10ks etc and results will be put online in due course.
- Awards night was a success. Thanks to all of those that came along virtually. Was great to see so many faces. Well done to all the winners and don’t forget this was the 2019 season so for all you newcomers it would be great to see some new names on the trophies.
- This weeks challenge is themed around St Georges Day. Again we will do the virtual races from your door – this week any recognised distance. Please send results to Lisa and she will collate them for next week. Any Strava art around the theme – Cross/Sword/Dragon even! And again any natty ideas about dressing up etc. Look forward to seeing what people come up with this time.
- Remember if you are going out to stay hydrated its very warm at the moment
- Most importantly…STAY SAFE